The Zorn Museum
During his life Anders Zorn amassed large quantities of art and art handicrafts. He also had plans to build a museum for his collections. However, it turned out to be his widow, Emma Zorn, together with the first curator of the museum, Professor Gerda Boëthius, who realised his plans. The museum was completed in 1939.
The architect was Ragnar Östberg, well known as the designer of Stockholm Town Hall, and it was to be his last assignment. The brick building in a classical style was extended in 1982 by the addition of a stair well enclosed in glass on the west side which was the work of the architect Torbjörn Olsson. In 1996 there was a further addition in the form of a building at a right angle which contained a reception area, library and office. The architect responsible was Gunnar Nordström.
Anders Zorn had ambitions of a pedagogical nature with the museum he was planning. It was here that he intended that the people of Dalarna would have the opportunity to see and learn something about art and art handicrafts from all corners of the world.
To a certain degree this ambition still applies today, even if during the course of time the focus has come to be more concentrated on the artist's own works. The permanent exhibition displays well known paintings such as "Midnight" (1891), "Dairy Maid" (1908), "Dance in the Gopsmor Cottage" (1913) as well as the two self portraits in red and and in a wolfskin (both 1915). "Mormor" (1883) and" The Misses Salomon" (1888) and a large number of water studies can be found amongst the watercolours. Zorn's etchings have a room to themselves.
Also works of the artist's contemporary friends are on display. Bruno Liljefors, Carl Larsson, Prince Eugene, Albert Edelfelt and several more.